It was harder to make a best of list this year because there were so many mediocre movies to consider.
And now for the best of 2011…
The undisputed high point of this year’s crop of After Dark films. Something that fans of “Dread” will enjoy.
A dark, bleak, existential horror film of the Lynchian variety.
3) “The Clinic”
If “A L’Interieur” (“Inside”) had a baby with the remake of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”, this would be it. A smart, well-made survival/slasher that turns a nightmare into something even more unimaginable.
2) “Stake Land”
It’s often dubbed “The Road” of vampire movies. Wonderfully paced, well-directed and just the right kick in the ass the vampire sub-genre needed.
The only movie this year to scare me into hysterics. A near perfect horror movie – if not for that silly third act.
- Honourable mention: “Shark Night”
- You may wonder why “Shark Night”, of all films, gets an honourable mention. It is quite simply because of the abundance of so many mediocre films this year. “Shark Night” stood out as being a little better than the rest of this year’s “meh” films (i.e. “The Thing”, “Scream 4”, “Apollo 18” etc.) because it’s just a fun, straight-up, pissed off killer animal movie that doesn’t try to be more than what it is: a Saturday night popcorn movie. Plus it can make for a great double bill with the “Piranha” remake!
- Honorable mention: “Prowl”
- So good it should have been on last year’s best of horror list: “Piranha”
- No remakes on this year’s list! How awesome is that!
- I must say, this year’s list is quite diverse: vampires, telekinesis, psychological breakdowns, survival, ghosts etc. There was something good coming out of every sub-genre! Yay! Something for everybody!